Photography by Erin Walker

Grand Anse Beach, St George, Grenada

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Island in the Sun

 Well we made it! Although our flight from Barbados was delayed two hours, and three of our four suitcases were lost, WE MADE IT! I am vowing to NEVER fly LIAT again! It's cheap and I know why.

When we checked in for our flight in Barbados, they told us two bags would go on our plane and that the remaining two would fly “Standby.” They let us choose which two bags to send on our plane…why they even bother to do that I do not know. When we packed our bags we each put the things we needed for the first night in one bag (sheets, towels, basic stuff) and asked that those two bags be sent on the plane.

Our plane landed in Grenada around 9:00 pm AST and as soon as we got through customs I see one of my bags going around the baggage carosel. I run to grab it and realize it is the bag I sent “Standby.” At first I was overwhelmed and happy that both my bags got sent on the flight…but then I realize that this is the ONLY bag of the four CW and I packed that actually made it. We waited in line for an hour to let them know that our bags were missing and then another hour to pay taxes on our computers (a whopping $22 USD for mine).

We got to our dorm around 11pm and then got the next surprise…a double bed. Normally we’d be ecstatic about not having to sleep in two twin beds, but since they affirmed on numerous occasions that it would be two twin beds, we bought two twin mattress pads, two twin blankets, two sets of organic twin sheets…not that we had any of it with us anyways, since our bags were MIA (and I’m not talking Miami International Airport, although they must be a partial owner of LIAT, the way they lose baggage). I was amazed because from the look and feel (and maybe the lack of an identifiable bad smell) it’s a BRAND NEW MATTRESS! No icky plastic or anything. So we roughed it on a bare mattress (although we cranked the A/C and slept fully-dressed so we didn’t make any direct contact with the mattress).

Luckily as I type this, CW is on his way to the airport as they confirmed receiving two of our three missing bags, with the possibility of the third being there as well. We bought sheets, towels and pillows, so tonight should be much more confortable.

P.S. The picture of the beach was taken right off our dorm room balcony! More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment